At Save The Snakes, we recognize and understand how connecting people to nature can be a means of protecting wildlife and wild places. Therefore, we are delighted to announce that Save The Snakes will lead an ecotour to Costa Rica in June 2019! The ecotour will be led by Save The Snakes Executive Director Michael Starkey, who for over six years, has organized and led ecotours to Belize, Costa Rica and Ecuador. If you choose to travel with Save The Snakes, for 14 nights you will be granted a truly unique opportunity to see incredible snake species in the wild, visit some of the world’s greatest locations and you will support our global snake conservation efforts.
- Travel by boat up winding rivers and through pristine rainforest canals to observe wildlife in Tortuguero on the Caribbean coast
- Trek through lush, dense rainforests in the Sarapiquí region and learn how one organization mitigates human-snake conflict for their community
- Explore a remote, rainforest preserve on the Pacific Coast to search for eyelash vipers and afterward, drink locally produced craft beer
- Hike in the mountainous region of San Gerardo de Dota and search for the resplendent quetzal, arguably the most beautiful bird in the Americas
- Experience the vibrant culture of the city of San Jose and visit the Instituto Clodomiro Picado, the world’s leading producer of snake antivenom
- Meet dedicated wildlife conservationists who are working to save some of the most amazing and iconic snake species found in Costa Rica
While we aim to see snakes, this trip is so much more! You will have the opportunity to relax on beautiful beaches, observe nesting sea turtles, learn about the fascinating lives of bats and enjoy the pleasures of chocolate. This ecotour combines sustainability with personal comfort, as we will stay in first class ecolodges that prioritize protecting the environment and creating an unforgettable guest experience. Most importantly, you will discover how this ecotour supports local communities, preserves habitat and protects wildlife populations.
Please complete the expression of interest form if you would like to join the 2019 Costa Rica Ecotour
During the Save The Snakes Ecotour, we will have the wonderful opportunity to witness many amazing wildlife species in Costa Rica. However, as snakes are incredibly cryptic animals, we cannot guarantee that you will see your favorite Costa Rican snake species in the wild. Please know that with the expertise and experience of our incredible guides, you will definitely see some amazing wildlife… including snakes!
Furthermore, this ecotour is designed to experience snakes, undisturbed, in their natural habitat. This is not a photography or “herping” trip. No animals will be manipulated for photography purposes. Under no circumstances will any participant handle venomous snakes.
Lastly, wildlife enthusiasts of all kinds are welcomed to join this trip, but you must be 18 years or older to participate.
The ecotour price and exact dates have yet to be determined. The group size is 14 participants and we expect this trip to fill up fast. Follow this page for more updated information!
Thank you for your interest in the Save The Snakes Costa Rica Ecotour. We look forward to sharing this experience with you!